Leveraging more than 40 years of experience, KKR Global Impact launched in 2018 to invest in solutions-oriented businesses
To invest behind scalable, commercial solutions to solve critical global challenges.
By investing in companies that deliver impact through their products or services and actively managing environmental, social, and governance (ESG) risks, we seek to deliver more resilient, long-term outperformance.
Building on KKR’s established history of investing in solutions and creating value
- Over $30 billion total equity committed to climate and environmental sustainability investments since 20101
- We believe ESG issues are business issues and that integrating ESG factors into the investment life cycle helps us make better investments. Our Responsible Investment Policy articulates our approach to integrating the consideration of ESG risks and potential value-creation opportunities into investment processes globally and across various asset classes.
Addressing global challenges
- Global Impact identifies promising companies that we believe measurably contribute to solutions addressing critical global challenges as identified by the UN Sustainable Development Goals (UN SDGs)
- We seek to engage with management teams to help our portfolio companies scale their businesses and achieve more – greater financial success, incremental positive impact, and improved ESG performance. To achieve these goals, we leverage the full suite of global resources including KKR Capstone, the KKR Global Institute, KKR Public Affairs, KKR Global Macro and Asset Allocation, KKR Capital Markets, KKR’s Sustainability Expert Advisory Council (“SEAC”), along with other external partners.
Leveraging the Firm’s resources
- When we are invested in a company, we leverage our investment model and our focus on operational and strategic improvements to drive value creation on ESG issues across our investments, where relevant. The Global Impact team leverages this toolkit to invest in businesses where we see great innovation and commercial opportunities to address critical societal needs.
- We seek to work strategically with management teams to help our portfolio companies achieve more – greater financial success, incremental positive impact, and improved ESG performance. To achieve these goals, we leverage the full suite of global resources including KKR Capstone, the KKR Global Institute, KKR Public Affairs, KKR Global Macro and Asset Allocation, KKR Capital Markets, KKR’s Sustainability Expert Advisory Council (“SEAC”), along with other external partners.
How we are building a more resilient future
- This report details Global Impact’s approach to investing behind scalable, commercial opportunities that contribute to solutions that address critical global challenges, as well as highlights of the portfolio’s contribution to the SDGs. This is a summary of our Global Impact Fund’s full 2020 Impact Report, which is provided to Fund investors.
Why Investing in Impact is Important to Me
1) Climate investments include all of KKR’s* investments from 2010 to December 31, 2021 in the following climate-focused sectors: renewable energy, energy efficiency, emissions reductions, climate services. Environmental sustainability investments includes all of KKR’s* investments from 2010 to December 31, 2021 in the following sustainability-focused sectors: pollution, waste, water, circular economy, land adaptation, transportation.
*Includes investments / commitments made by KKR Private Market Funds and other affiliates, Global Atlantic (KKR subsidiary), and syndicated co-investments Note: Excludes investments that are also involved in sectors not intrinsically aligned with climate mitigation, such as fossil fuel generation/ distribution, airports, or highways, regardless of the company’s long-term energy transition ambitions